[Umpqua Birds] Re: Red-tail hawks mating behavior......

  • From: Elva Paulson <elvapaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:26:08 -0800

HI rick,

We have seen this behavior.  I used to think it was courting behavior, but
according to Cornell's "Birds of North America Online' (subscription required)
it is aggression i.e. getting rid of the interloper.  Usually the birds part
before hitting the ground, although sometimes is seems more like a crash
landing.  Other raptors do it too.

Copulation takes place on a perch.  I've also seen that several times.

Elva Paulson
Roseburg