[Umpqua Birds] Recent migrants

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 20:51:35 -0700

Hi Folks,

I've been working outside several days building my front porch roof. A
variety of migrants have been passing through.

Swainson's Thrush--often heard and seen in first few hours of daylight,
"coming down" to the treetops of oak and madrone, then dashing for some
thicker cover.

Black-throated Gray Warbler--2-3 birds yesterday and today, traveling with
chickadees.

Common Yellowthroat, imm poking around in blackberries.

Lots of sparrows: I've had Chipping Sparrows passing through for many
weeks, but today a whole new "northern" batch showed up: White-crowned
Sparrows, Golden-crowned Sparrows, Savannah Sparrows, Lincoln Sparrows.

Western Tanagers have been passing through for many weeks, and I still have
1 or 2 per day when working outside.

Haven't had a Black-headed Grosbeak at our place since late August (haven't
had any since then).

Haven't had a Brewer's Blackbird here for many months. One flew over today.

Still have 1 or 2 Violet-green Swallows fly over most days, as well as a
Barn Swallow or two.

Several days ago I stopped by Plat I Reservoir and Ford's Pond, each very
briefly. At Plat I there were about 25 Western and 25 Least Sandpipers, 3
Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, At Ford's Pond a variety of
"winter" ducks have come back, including Northern Pintail, Green-winged
Teal, Scaup sp., Ring-necked Duck, and Northern Shoveler.

Last year in late September I had several flocks of White-fronted Geese fly
over our place. Haven't heard or seen any yet, but keeping my eyes and ears
open.

It's a really fun time of year!  Good time to get out to check out local
water bodies and other habitats for warblers, sparrows, etc....

Enjoy,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR