[Umpqua Birds] Re: Ravens

  • From: Tammy Weir <tamtam_24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:00:03 +0000

My husband and I frequent Wildlife Safari on a weekly basis; last week we
counted 63 Ravens driving the path between the American Wetlands and the black
bears.  Those were just the ones we seen.  I am sure with all the forest and
timber surrounding the park and outside the park there were lots more of them.
This year typically we see them in the evening flying over in groups of about
30-36 birds and we see 4 or 5 groups and then individual numbers staggering
between them.  It doesn't happen every evening though.
It was ominous watching hundreds of Ravens fly over one evening last year.  It
was like something out of a scary movie.  Again, it happened only one evening.
It was late fall.
We have noticed an increase in the larger bird population in our area as well.
We had a new pair of Osprey nest along the creek.  Some large hawks . I believe
they were Red tail.  We have seen an increase in numbers of Peregrine Falcons.
We now have 2 mating pairs of Bald Eagles in our area. However, I have seen a
decline this year in the number of Turkey Vultures roosting in our trees.
Seems they have migrated further west of our area this year.
Its all really interesting to me observe.
Tammy WWinston,OR

From: elvapaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Re: Ravens
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 22:25:20 -0700
To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,
Yes, we do still volunteer at Wildlife Safari, but it was about 2 1/2 weeks ago
that we last drove through the park.  I didn't notice more ravens than usual
... there are always plenty.   The ravens know where the goodies are!  I
suspect we often see 30 or 40.  I doubt very much we've ever seen over 100 at
Safari.  Except for April and May we are generally at Safari at least twice a
month.   I'll pay a little more attention to them for awhile.
We were out at Whistler's Bend recently and saw about 30 ravens in a recently
cut hayfield on our way in.  I've seen pretty good flocks of crows out Glide
way in the past but never that many ravens.
I remember when we first reported maybe a dozen ravens on the Christmas county
and had a hard time convincing anyone  that there were that many ravens in the
area.  Interesting how their numbers are building.
Elva Paulson .... Roseburg
On Jul 23, 2013, at 9:03 PM, Matthew G Hunter wrote:Wow, that is a lot of
ravens!

Dale and Elva, if you're reading this, ... do you still work/volunteer at the
Safari, and what have you seen with regard to ravens, numbers, timing at
Wildlife Safari?

Matt

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Tammy Weir <tamtam_24@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Matt;

I live in Winston,OR and I am seeing similar flight patterns with ravens flying
over every evening.  Lots and lots of them.  I am in the vicinity of old
brockway rd and lookingglass.  I observed this same pattern of flying last year
as well.  I noticed as summer progressed into fall the numbers multiplied.  One
evening we watched over a thousand or more fly over.  It was really something
to see.  I had assumed they were coming from the Wildlife Safari area as they
are there all day long in huge numbers.  They seem to leave the safari area in
the evening.  They do make a stop at lookingglass creek and the umpqua river
but they do not stay there over nite.  Interesting.

Tammy Weir
Winston,OR