[Umpqua Birds] Re: Pied-billed Grebe nesting schedule

  • From: Elva Paulson <epaulson007@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Matt Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 22:17:23 -0700

Dale and I got to watch pied-billed grebes courting this spring. … both rise
up out of the water. I love how they puff up their throats like cobras when
calling. They are a little secretive, but well worth paying attention to.
Maybe you’ll get lucky.

On Jun 3, 2015, at 8:22 PM, Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Elva Paulson, fellow greber

Hi Folks,
I've been doing some scouting for the upcoming Oregon Birding Association
field trips.
It is interesting to me that a couple weeks ago I watched a large young
Pied-billed Grebe (black and white striped head) being fed by a parent at
Ford's Pond. Now, for the past week or so, there are grebes on nests "out in
the open" at Ford's Pond. If you scan the surface vegetation on Ford's Pond
and see a Pied-billed Grebe here and there, seemingly sitting on the
vegetation; well, they probably are. Today I watched a swimming Pied-billed
Grebe deliver a mouthful of vegetative material to one of the grebes on a
nest. The grebe on the nest took the material and stuffed it here and there
around her(?).

Good Grebeing,

Matt

To send a message to the list: address email to umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx