[Umpqua Birds] Re: Peregrine Falcon eating Rock Pigeon

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dan Fenske <dwfenske@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 22:36:16 -0700

Thanks Dan. I noticed and was wondering about that short tail on the pigeon
too. What's your impression of size on the falcon?

Matt

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Dan Fenske <dwfenske@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Matt,
This pigeon does not look full grown to me…short tail is one thing I
notice and wing feathers too. Pigeons can be a clean food depending on
where they are finding their food. They also carry parasites and trounce
which transfers into falcons as well as a few viruses. Just depends on the
health of that pigeon. The meat is excellent for falcons though.
Dan

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

Hi Friends,
This morning, on my way toward home from Home Depot, as I was crossing
I-5 on Edenbower, I saw a PEREGRINE FALCON carrying a large prey item over
the interchange (where ROCK PIGEONS are common). It was struggling and
circling to gain elevation and eventually headed west only about 100 ft up.
I followed the bird visually as much as I could without causing a traffic
accident and saw it land in a snag on a small toe ridge to the west. I
pulled off onto NW Broad St, then NW Wide Ave, to get closer to the
bird/snag. I watched it for 15 minutes or so before heading home. I'm
assuming it is a female based on size and the ability to carry a Rock
Pigeon. I have heard that Rock Pigeons are usually one of the "cleanest"
foods for Peregrines because they are "resident" here and have not
accumulated as many toxins from pesticides and such like many shorebirds do
from their travels to Central and South America, where there are fewer
restrictions on use of chemicals. Can some of you Peregrine People let us
know if this is the case?

Photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157655508007841

Videos: