[Umpqua Birds] New Species at Home Patch

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 18:34:24 -0700

Wahooo! It's always fun to witness a new species at my home/property, and
it happened today: BUSHTIT! #118 since 2013.

Once this sinks in some of you may think to yourself: Huh? Really? That's
such a common bird! I have them at my place pretty regularly. Or, I've had
a flock of 25 at my suet feeder! Or, they're pretty common over at ....

Yes, you are right, and it illustrates the fact that species are not
distributed evenly, or randomly, in our landscape. They prefer certain
habitats, and move in certain ways and at certain times in the landscape.
But, every landscape is different.

That is why I am always interested to hear more about what you all have at
your place, where you live, and what the habitat is, because by sharing, we
all learn something more about how species are distributed, and when, in
the Umpqua Basin.

I hope to hear more from y'all what is at your home patch and when things
change throughout the year. It may seem like nothing to you, but it is a
part of a bigger picture that no one person holds by her/himself.

How did I know Bushtit was #118? Because I put my observations in
eBird.org, and it adds 'em up for me! I can even see which bird was #37,
#43, and #103. I think the last 10 or so are the most interesting to ponder.

At the next Birder's Night, Aug 20, I'm going to share with you the
complete species list at our place in the form of a bar chart that shows
when each bird has been recorded throughout the year here. Together we will
tease out the reasons I have certain species at my place that you don't,
and vice versa, to learn something about bird habitat and distribution and
timing in the Umpqua Basin. AND, I will show you how you can make a bar
chart for your place with eBird. ... I'll have a few photos too.

If we each make a line in the drawing: together we can make a work of art.

Matt