[Umpqua Birds] Re: Lemolo Falls Birding

  • From: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:17:41 -0700

That sounds right and makes sense. I kept scanning the river thinking,"
This looks good for dipper."

On Jun 29, 2015 7:19 PM, "James Billstine" <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I did some relaxed birding in the high cascades the last few days. I am
still on the hunt for Green-tailed Towhee, and checked the toketee airstrip
as well as the nearby fr 10, coming up empty handed. I plan on a long hike
on the Pacific crest trail later this summer to look for them. I rechecked
thorn prairie as well, no luck.

Anyway, I did a 3 hour black swift watch at lemolo falls on Sunday night.
I didn't see any Swifts but after a hot day there aren't many better or
more beautiful places to relax than at the foot of a waterfall. I did see:

1 sharp-shinned hawk catching thermals with a
Turkey vulture
1 osprey
1 common merganser

Also I had a weird encounter with a mystery bird or maybe insect. It's
hard to hear a lot at the foot of the falls, but at one point I heard calls
moving up the river canyon towards me at a very rapid rate. Whatever was
making the sound flew over my head, and if I was to name the sound I would
have called it the kiddick call of a Virginia rail, maybe a tiny bit higher
pitched than usual.

I also saw a sasquatch on fr 37 =)

Beating the heat

Jimmy