[Umpqua Birds] Infected hummingbird

  • From: Elva Paulson <elvapaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Umpqua Birds Birds <Umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:13:16 -0800

For the first time this winter we have a male Anna's at our feeder (we've had
one or two females / immatures all winter).  He is a sorry looking individual,
but still full of pep.  I suspect his problem is mites.  In any case one eyelid
is seriously enlarged all the way around and the other side of his head has
problems at the base of his mouth.  Also he tongue appears to be stuck out ...
nearly 3/4 inch.  We got decent photos.  If anyone knows of someone who might
be interested in this sighting let me know.

Elva Paulson
Roseburg