[Umpqua Birds] Hawk I.D. Help

  • From: Elizabeth Gayner <egayner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Umpqua Audubon Birds <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:19:02 -0700

Based on your description I thought it might be a red shouldered hawk. But
I zoomed in on the photos and I think it might be a juvenile Cooper's hawk.
As others have indicated, it certainly doesn't have a body like a buteo,
but more like an accipter. It also appears to have tear-drop shaped
markings on it's breast which would indicate a juvenile if indeed a
Copper's hawk.

Liz Gayner

Roseburg