[Umpqua Birds] Re: Happy New Year!

  • From: "Toni M" <creekwood@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 10:21:19 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

You betcha! Birders need sustenance & jerky carries easily :-) . Info coming
to you via off-site email.
Toni M., So.Co.
Toni,
London broil! I still remember your jerky, it was excellent! If it's not too
much to ask could you send me the recipe and instructions for making it?
From: James
Date: 12/31/14 22:16:44
To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Happy New Year!

Happy New year Umpqua Birders! I am excited to do a lot of birding this
year!

  Ebird asked local birders to issue a challenge for a local big year and I
am going to take it up! I was planning on doing a state big year but a
couple of things ended up work working against me. One, my car is on its way
out, and the money I save in gas by not driving across the state will help
me save up for a new car. Two, if I want to see rare birds there are plenty
of opportunities for me to do so in this county! The nine hour drive to
Enterprise to look for a Mckay's Bunting, for example, could instead be used
to bird for nine hours locally and find cool stuff here! Third, I will
become a better birder by covering local areas myself instead of finding
good birds where others know they are. For example, there are a lot of Pine
Grosbeaks showing up around the state. I could drive to somewhere where
others have found them, or I could check appropriate habitat in the county
and find them myself! It will be harder, and undoubtedly I will make a
couple of trips that are fruitless, but when I do finally find them it will
be much more rewarding! And I will learn more from my misses!

So I'm going to try and do a Douglas county big year, and my goal is 300
checklists and 245 species! I also want to improve my birdsong skills,
specifically for neotropical species in the county. It will be tough, but I
am excited to explore new areas of our diverse county looking for different
bird species! If I'm taking a trip on a weekend Ill let you all know in case
someone wants to join me!

Happy New Year!

Jimmy Billstine