[Umpqua Birds] Re: Cooper's Hawk (Finally)

  • From: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 07:37:31 -0700

So what I thought what was a Cooper's Hawk must go unidentified. I confused
the field marks of Sharp-Shinned and Cooper's hawk. Cooper's Hawk have a
head that DOES extend beyond the wings, and Cooper's Hawk doesn't. Also the
Square tail/rounded tail isn't as reliable a field mark when they are
gliding. I knew it was an accipter, so that's a start! so I'll keep
checking the thermals for more.