[Umpqua Birds] Re: Bonnie's Dowitcher Photos

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 21:27:34 -0700

Hi Bonnie and All,
  It seems that others are as stumped as I am. I requested feedback on
Bonnie's dowitcher from folks on OBOL. There are 1000 people on OBOL. Two
replied to me personally. Both have birded in Oregon over 40 years. Both
said, I don't know, but probably a Long-billed because of the
strong/extensive red/orange underneath. Main problem is that the most
diagnostic feathers on breeding-plumaged dowitchers are on the front of the
neck/upper chest, and we don't have a good view of those feathers (only
side views). The bill looks short to me, but could be a male Long-billed.
In shorebirds females usually have longer bills and males shorter bills.
Even with good views, some breeding-plumaged dowitchers can be very
difficult to tell apart. Their call is by far the easiest way to tell them
apart. I don't suppose you heard the bird, Bonnie?  Anyway, ...Score:
dowitcher 1, birders 0.    :-)

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR