[Umpqua Birds] Re: Bolon Is. Great Egrets are back

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 21:12:32 -0700

I'm a bit tardy in my question, Pam, but do you recall what time of year it
was that you saw that roost? You did say before the leaves come out, but do
you recall if you saw them in fall and winter, or only in late winter/early
spring just before the leaves came out? Are those trees gone now, or is
it just that you haven't seen that roost of birds for a while? That would
be an impressive sight!

Interested, Thanks,

Matt

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 2:40 PM, Pamela Moore <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

For some years I saw egrets in the ash trees hanging over Lookingglass
Creek at what is now the organic blueberry farm. There is a new bridge in
the 8000 block right near the old bridge where there is sometimes a fish
counting station. Usually before the leaves come out. Once I counted
thirteen, and they flew off en masse! What a sight that was. It was
definitely one of the things that got me interested in birding. I assumed
they were fishing, as was the blue heron that is often at the downstream of
the bridge. Pam

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 13, 2015, at 1:23 PM, Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Folks,
Last year, Dan Karpa of Reedsport spotted several Great Egrets in the
Double-crested Cormorant colony on Bolon Island in Reedsport. Young were
confirmed in several nests:
http://elvafieldnotes.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-new-egret-colony.html, and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157646456502449/.
These birds represented the first known nesting of this species in Douglas
County.

Dan reports that about 4 days ago (April 9) the cormorants are back to
the colony and that there are at least 8 egrets there as well. I wonder if
any more will show up this year.

I saw a couple Great Egrets near Kruse Farms (Melrose Rd.) just a couple
weeks ago. I have wondered if any might join a local Great Blue Heron
colony, but I have not checked. If anyone visits a local Great Blue Heron
colony (e.g., Old Melrose Rd., Lower Garden Valley Rd., Canyonville, etc.)
and sees a large white bird, or if you continue to see egrets in the Umpqua
Basin somewhere in the next couple months, let us know! They have colonies
in the Coquille River basin, but I've not heard of any inland here in the
Umpqua Basin yet.

Matt