[Umpqua Birds] Black-backed woodpecker

  • From: Tatiana Dolgushina <tatiana.nikolai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 21:44:13 -0700

Hello!

If anybody is interested, today I saw a male BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER feeding a
nestling. While driving back to Roseburg, I stopped on the corner of Hwy 138
and FS 4793 (Cinnamon Butte). There is a small parking lot and I could see the
nesting cavity right from the parking lot. There was possibly a second bird
that flew off, maybe the female, but I did not get to ID it in time. The male
was carrying food to the nestling, drumming, and vocalizing. The nestling was
constantly begging. This was exciting for me as I’ve never seen one before and
it happened by chance!

Tatiana