[Umpqua Birds] Re: Backyard Bird Count Question

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 10:00:22 -0800

Yes, it would be redundant.

For people already using eBird, you can just input your observations as you
would any other day(s) of the year. Any observations with dates of Feb
14-17, 2014, will be used as GBBC data (at least if they meet the very
simple protocol, see below). You can also log in and enter data beginning
at the GBBC portal (accessed from http://gbbc.birdcount.org/), which many
people will do who are interested in participating in the effort, but who
have not previously used eBird.   The main difference between any of these
portals (there are other projects, such as shorebird surveys, etc., that
use eBird as the collection method) and just entering data through your
usual eBird account, is that data entered through one of the "portals" is
assumed to follow the protocol for which the portal was set up. For
example, the GBBC mentions counting for at least 15 minutes at any
locations you visit. Many of my personal counts are only 5 minutes, but
anything coming through the GBBC portal would be assumed to include at
least 15 minutes of observation time. Submissions coming to eBird through
the shorebird survey portal would be assumed to be following their protocol
for amount of time spent, area covered, tides, etc.

So, if you've not used eBird before, the GBBC (http://gbbc.birdcount.org/)
might be a good introduction. If you are already an eBird user, just enter
your data for Feb 14-17 in your usual eBird manner or through the GBBC
portal, not both.

Happy Counting,

Matt