[Umpqua Birds] Acorn Woodpeckers on Termite Hatch

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 19:58:58 -0700

Yhis evening I'm sitting on my north porch which looks upon my water bath,
and beyond that our madrone snag and nesting Acorn Woodpeckers. Acorn
Woodpeckers are good "flycaychers" and tonight they are gathering flying
termites and feeding them to young still in the nest; second or third brood
this year. Watching them closely I could see that they can gather several
termites in beak before delivering them to squealing young in the cavity.

Impressive birds....

Matt Hunter
Melrose
West-central Douglas County