[UHNA] SPECIAL MEETING: CUF email 101509

  • From: "DF Lewis" <DFLewis@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 09:18:05 -0400

Daniel F. Lewis

-----Original Message-----
From: Neel, Robert (neelrt) [mailto:neelrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:55 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: CUF email 101509

Neighbors of Clifton Heights University Heights and Fairview:

This is a friendly reminder about the upcoming CUF meeting on October 20th
at the Deaconess Hospital lower level (311 Straight Street) at 7:00 pm.
Please note the earlier start time.  We will be hearing from Karin Manovich
of South Park in Dayton, a community that was successfully revitalized
around a major University with the partnership between neighbors.  Please
come to see what ideas we might glean from her.  Craig LLoyd will be taking
her on a tour of the community beforehand.  Paul Gallagher, the Tree Man,
will be accompanying them.

Attached below are some news-worthy items for your pleasure from members of
your community.  If anyone has things they want to distribute, please email
me.
Please also get this out to those who do not yet have email.

Details below are:

1.  The Mural is up in Clifton Heights from Mural works.   We are now in the
process of lighting the mural and we expect this to be done soon.  Now,
which part of the neighborhood will be next for a mural? Fairview?
University Heights?  Or the West McMicken neighborhood?  Let's see if we can
get another mural for the overall neighborhood in 2010!!!  Visit the website
at artworkscincinnati.org and look under summer programs for the Muralworks
program.  Appropriate sites must be found and researched, but it is well
worth the work to create something that will last and shine on for our
community!  Let's bring the arts back to CUF!

2. The West McMicken Improvement Association met with Linda James from the
Department of Corrections and the leadership of the VOA Pogue Center for
sexual offender re-entry.  As you might recall, the CUF Board sent a letter
to City Council and to the Governor and to our senator, Eric Kearney, about
this program.  The message was loud and clear about the displeasure the
community has felt about this establishment and the lack of oversight that
contributed to the death of Esme Kenney.  Neighbors were joined by Captain
Dave Bailey, Officers Lisa Johnson and Mike Fern from District 5, and City
Councilmember Chris Monzel.   More details to follow, but it was interesting
to have them hear from the community and the negative impact they have had
on the community and how City Council has been working to try and get them
moved out of CUF.  It was a well-organized, well-researched meeting and
hopefully the community's voice was heard.  Kudos to the West McMicken gang
for being so proactive!

3. Cincinnati Comprehensive PLan Meetings continue (see below).  This is a
chance for everyday citizens to give feedback to our planning department for
the direction and the future of the City.  There is a meeting tonight and on
October 22nd.

4. Make a Difference Day.  Originally scheduled for October 24th, UC's
homecoming, so we rescheduled.  Independent of us, a group of UC Students
organized themselves for Saturday October 17th to do the same thing.  This
is GREAT!  Please consider joining (yes, it is short notice) us on Saturday
October 17th.

Make A Difference Day Clean Up
Clean up the neighborhood with UC students.
Saturday October 17th at 10 am.
Meet at the Campus Recreation Center.

Campus Recreation Center (the sports complex in the middle of campus)
University of Cincinnati 2820 Bearcat Way Cincinnati, Ohio 45221- 0017

Suzanne Summer will again coordinate volunteers.  if you have questions,
please contact her at 513-607-4490.

5. One of our own resident artists, Craig Lloyd, has a show running through
Friday the 16th.  Please try and see Craig's show before it ends!

The Carnegie
1028 Scott Boulevard ? Covington, KY 41011-3121
(859) 491-2030 ? www.thecarnegie.com
M?F 10am ? 5pm ? Sat Noon ? 3pm

6. Lisa Johnson has sent us a program on personal safety.  We will have be
asking for another personal safety session with Officers Johnson and
Officers Williams hopefully at our January meeting.  Learn basic safety
tricks, as taught by our own experts, on how to stay safe in an urban
environment.  More details to follow!

7. We will likely be doing another trash cart project in the spring time.
Spread the word to landlords who need new trash carts.  When we did this
last time, we subsidized over 165 trash carts for the neighborhood,
essentially charging half price for the carts (90 dollar carts were only 45
dollars, etc).  This is a great way to get trash off of our streets and to
encourage people to help with trash. Spread the word and send people who are
interested back to me so we can get a tally for this winter and spring
project!

8. Streetcar Open House
Oct. 27 at Corryville Recreation Center  6 - 8 PM

No presentation.  Just open house style.  But the public will be asked "to
provide comments on the system and particularly the 'connector route' to
Uptown. This is the path the streetcar will take from its downtown route to
Uptown, which includes the area around the University of Cincinnati, the
hospitals and the zoo. These are the city?s two largest employment centers
with about 130,000 workers every day. The proposed system does not currently
include a route that circulates through the streets in Uptown."

9. Membership Form for CUF

See everybody September 15, 2009!

Check the cufna.org website for current and past newsletters and for other
news, as well as a calendar.

Rob

Robert W. Neel, M.D.
President, CUF
www.cufna.org

Cincinnati to Host Comprehensive Plan Community Input Meetings Citizens
encouraged to provide vision for Cincinnati?s future!

Have a vision for Cincinnati?s future development?  If so, the Department of
City Planning and Buildings invites you to attend one of four community
meetings held in late September and throughout October to provide input for
the City?s first Comprehensive Plan in 30 years.

What is a Comprehensive Plan? A Comprehensive Plan is a plan that will guide
the City?s neighborhood and business growth for the next 10 to 20 years. The
plan contains specific recommendations that enable the City to better
understand current development and plan for future improvements.  As a
vision for the City?s future, the Plan recommends policies, prioritizes key
projects, and determines implementation partners on a City-wide basis.

Additionally, an updated Comprehensive Plan allows the City to better manage
and strategically apply its resources.  ?The development of a Comprehensive
Plan for a large city like Cincinnati will act as the primary guide for the
physical development of the City for many years to come,? said Charles C.
Graves III, Director of City Planning and Buildings.

The input and brainstorming process will take place at four community
meetings. The community meetings represent a critical step in the
approximately 18-month comprehensive planning process, as information
generated from the meetings will provide the basis for the content of the
Plan. Participants will begin to identify the greatest issues and
opportunities to be addressed in the Comprehensive Plan.  The meetings are
also designed to coordinate with the Neighborhood Summit, which will take
place in early 2010 and be devoted entirely to the City?s Comprehensive
Plan.

Information gathered at the community input meetings will provide direction
for the Neighborhood Summit and act as the building blocks for the
formulation of goals for the Comprehensive Plan, which will be established
during the Neighborhood Summit. ?It is critical for community members
interested in the physical development of the City of Cincinnati to actively
engage in the planning process.  The completed Comprehensive Plan will, in
large part, be a product of those who choose to be involved,? said Graves.
?The time is right for Cincinnati to critically analyze our challenges and
strengths, and establish goals that will guide the future development of our
City.?

Attend a community meeting at one of the following locations:

September 30, 2009, 6 p.m.  ? Corryville Recreation Center October 5, 2009,
6 p.m.  ? Price Hill Recreation Center October 15, 2009, 6 p.m.  ? College
Hill Recreation Center October 22, 2009, 6 p.m.  ? Madisonville Recreation
Center

For more information, visit the Plan Cincinnati website at
www.plancincinnati.org or call 513-352-4845.

CUF membership
Any person subscribing to the purpose of the CUF Neighborhood Association,
Inc. and paying dues set by the Association may become a member. Election of
Trustees is held at the annual meeting in July. Eligible voters are
residents of the community who are at least 18 years of age and who are
fully paid members of the Association and who have at¬tended three general
meetings after payment of dues during the year prior to the annual meeting.
Non-res¬ident members have voice but no vote in Association meetings and may
not hold elective office. Annual CUF dues are $6.00.
CUF general meetings:
3rd Tuesday of each month, except August and De¬cember, 7:30 pm, Deaconess
Hospital Cafeteria, 311 Straight Street CUF Trustee meetings:
1st Tuesday of each month, 7:00 pm, Deaconess Hospital Cafeteria, 311
Straight Street CUF annual meeting and election:
3rd Tuesday in July, 7:30 pm, Deaconess Hospital Cafeteria, 311 Straight
Street

Name:
Address:
Phone: ( )
Email:
Membership Type:
Voting Membership: CUF resident _______________ Non-Voting Membership:
CUF organization CUF business owner   ______________
Non-resident  _____________
Non-resident property owner ______________

Membership Fee: $6.00 per year.
Make checks payable to CUFNA.
You can bring your check to the next meeting or you can mail it to:

CUF Neighborhood Association
2364 West McMicken Avenue,
Cincinnati, Ohio 45214