[uebc2] zsd701: Chairman's Report on Status of the Meeting

  • From: Joe Sullivan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uebc2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:46:38 -0400

To: Members and Observers of UEBC Committee 2
From: Joe Sullivan
Subject: zsd701: Chairman's Report on Status of the Meeting
Date: July 1, 2003

MOTIONS DECIDED SINCE LAST REPORT

The second by WP in message of 2003-6-4 (wpd6042), to require the terminator form that includes dot 3 root for all typeforms, even if followed by space. Seconded: JS. Voting deadline: June 28. Votes: in favor: WP, SP; against: none.

ACTIVE MOTIONS

None.

MOTIONS SECONDED, IN SUSPENSE

None.

MOTIONS MADE, NOT YET SECONDED

None.

NOTES (NEW)

1. The voting on adopted motion wpd6041 is amended as follows: Votes in favor: WP, FC, SP; against: none.

2. I have just noticed that we still have one passage-terminating symbol that can be used without dot 3 if followed by space, namely the grade 1 passage terminator. Since this symbol does not involve capitalization nor typeforms, it is not strictly covered by the recently adopted motions. If it is intended that this symbol should be similarly treated, a motion to that effect would be in order at any time.

3. I'll try to get something together within the next few days, to see if we can move the subject of index extents further along. The "bullet symbol" will follow.

AGENDA (* denotes new item)

"Clean-up" Track with target dates (now likely to be slipped by 3 weeks from stated date):

-- 2003-6-21 Index extents. With the present definition, a negative exponent must be put between braille grouping indicators, because otherwise the effect of the superscript/exponent indicator would apply only to the minus sign, not the number beyond. Is this something we want to change by some redefinition of the "items" to which the index indicators apply, or by some other means? Likewise, an expression in explicit brackets is not regarded as an "item" for the same purpose, which is not optimal in classical mathematics.

-- 2003-7-5 Clarification of the way in which the curved line or vertical bar and horizontal overbar in spatially-arranged common arithmetic division is to be represented.

-- 2003-7-19 Transcriber-assigned typeforms. Shall we give guidance as to how and when the transcriber-assigned typeform series is to be used (and clarify that it IS a series)?

-- 2003-8-2 Typeforms extending over several paragraphs. Presently we open and close typeforms at every text element boundary, e.g. between paragraphs. If the same typeform continues over adjoining paragraphs, should we consider omitting the closing indicator on the first?

-- 2003-8-16 Overlap and nesting of typeforms. At present, we allow different typeforms to be stopped and started at any point, which permits them to be overlapped arbitrarily. Should we require that strictly nested, e.g. should a bold indicator that is started within an italic passage be closed before the italic passage is closed?

-- 2003-8-30 Line sign (for poetry line breaks). This is presently a two-cell symbol in UEBC, reassigned from the one-cell symbol used in English Braille in order to provide for a diagonal line segment in line-drawing mode. Is this a sufficiently worrisome ambiguity that we should retain the two-cell assignment, or should we consider allowing them to be the same symbol?

-- 2003-9-13 Closing and reopening of the non-UEBC passage indicator. Presently we allow a new passage to be opened without closing one already in effect, e.g. French following Music. Should we require such a passage always to be explicitly closed?

-- 2003-9-27 Accents and diacritics. Presently we have symbols for some of the most common Western European accent marks -- the acute, grave, circumflex, dieresis/umlaut, tilde, cedilla and circle-above. Some other such marks include the breve (a small u-shaped mark above), hacek (small v-shaped mark above), slash overlay, and ogonek (small backwards cedilla below), among many others (see Unicode symbols U+0300 through U+036f). Should we identify the more common of these and make some assignments?

-- 2003-10-11 Revisiting general mathematical signs. Presently mentioned items are:
-- the "difference between" symbol (like an equal sign, but with a central bump in the top bar, U+224f), which is apparently sometimes used for "approximately equal"

-- 2003-10-25 Lines and similar devices for formatting purposes. Presently mentioned items are:
-- Lines for "boxes," top and bottom (and double and single?), including colored boxes
-- Lines to divide adjoining boxes

-- 2003-11-8 Should we make it a general rule that dot 4 followed by a letter signifies a struck-through letter used as a currency symbol?

"Chemistry" Track:

-- Review of chemistry symbols for completeness. A list presented by JS, and comments thereto by SP and others, may be found in archives C220002 and C220003.

"Miscellaneous Symbols" Track:

-- Miscellaneous symbols possibly needing assignment or change. This is an open-ended category. Presently mentioned items are:
-- The bullet symbol to be reassigned to a pattern more easily found when "scanning" (see message from Darleen Bogart)
-- Hebrew alphabet
-- Cyrillic alphabet
-- "open" (double-struck) letters (chiefly capitals)

MOTIONS AND SYMBOLS ADOPTED SINCE THE POSTED REPORTS

The last report of Committee 2 was the Supplementary Report of October 1999. There was also a report in February 2001 for a Joint Session of Committees 2 and 4. Both are on the ICEB Web site, on the main "UEBC Project Information" page. Motions adopted by Committee 2 that are not reflected in either of those reports are recorded in status messages having the following dates:

2000-2-16 (assigning symbols for line bonds and equilibrium arrows)
2001-6-18 (rescinding the rule forbidding contractions before numeric indicator)
2001-8-9 (removing alignment mode from the definition of UEBC)
2001-9-20 (removing asterisk from the "standing alone" definition)
2002-2-17 (defining that apostrophe before final s terminates the effect of the word-capitals indicator)
2002-5-2 (assigning certain chemistry-related symbols, e.g. for dot bonds)
2002-6-13 (assigning "long dash" and designating dot 3 as a terminator in line mode)
2002-10-19 (redefining the extent of the word-capitals indicator, so that apostrophe terminates it, and clarifying that accent modifiers do not terminate it)
2002-11-15 (assigning symbols for dashed lines, e.g. bonds, and reassigning and redefining the symbol for "normal")
2002-11-21 (recommending deletion of the "o'clock" contraction if the letter-sequence [word or double-cap] form of capitalization is used for words containing apostrophes)
2003-2-19 (by consensus, recommending that balancing quotes
be transcribed as like kinds, e.g. both nonspecific)
2003-3-18 (redefining the context rules whereby the grade 1 meaning of dots 236 is opening nonspecific quote vs. question mark)
2003-4-28 (defining a separated numeric indicator and numeric passage mode and associated indicators)
2003-5-12 (assigning symbols and one "standard shape" for geometry)
2003-6-2 (assigning miscellaneous symbols; reassigning the "sans-serif" indicators to "script")
2003-6-16 (deleting dot 6 as capitals passage terminator when followed by space, i.e. requiring the two-cell form always)

A complete "Committee 2 Current Working Symbols List" is posted at

http://www.iceb.org/symbsc2.html

Symbols added or changed by these adopted motions appear in that list with the annotation "[new" or "[changed".

Symbols reassigned by these adopted motions are as follows:

$d.4 hollow dot - reassigned to $d"0

Symbols deleted by these adopted motions are as follows:

$d__7 enter alignment mode
$d__' exit alignment mode
$d, (when followed by space) capitals passage terminator
$d@ (when followed by space) script (formerly sans serif) passage terminator
$d@# (when followed by space) 1st transcriber-defined passage terminator
$d^ (when followed by space) boldface passage terminator
$d_ (when followed by space) underlined passage terminator
$d. (when followed by space) italic passage terminator

Standard shapes assigned by these motions are as follows:

$d$@#d white parallelogram (U+25b1)

NOTES (CARRIED FORWARD)

1. Archives of all messages since August 12, 2002 through this and other ICEB and UEBC working committees are maintained on the World Wide Web at

//www.freelists.org

Follow the link to "Archives" and select the uebc2 list. The archives of deliberations prior to that date are available at

http://www.iceb.org

Follow the link to "UEBC Project Information" and see the section entitled "Working Committee Archives". Other background information, including details of our procedural rules (based on Robert's Rules) can also be found on other areas of the same web site.

2. The floor remains open to messages from observers and consultants as well as from voting members of the committee. I particularly encourage observers who have not previously posted to send us a few paragraphs of self-introduction.

3. The order of the agenda is according to my own rough estimate as to what needs to be decided most quickly, mostly for the sake of work being done by other committees. It is not cast in stone. All input on agenda items and their relative priority is welcome.

4. The date listed with an agenda item is the target date for finish of work, e.g. an adopted motion. In order to keep to schedule, it will be necessary to overlap discussion of items.

5. The current roster of voting committee members is:

Bruce Maguire, Australia
Frank Chennells, Canada
Margaret Salt, NZ
Christo de Klerk, South Africa
Stephen Phippen, UK
William Poole, UK
Abraham Nemeth, US
Joe Sullivan, US (Chair)

* * *
* This message is via list uebc2 at freelists.org.
*   unsubscribe
* as the subject to <uebc2-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also
* is also located there.
* The International Council on English Braille (ICEB) web site is
*   http://www.iceb.org
* * *