[uae] Re: Sharp Zaurus port of E-UAE

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:52:47 -0400

Hi Alex

On Friday 26 August 2005 01:38 am, Alex Landa wrote:
> For some time now, I've been trying to compile UAE for the Sharp Zaurus.
>  I recently switched to E-UAE and recently, succeeded in compiling it.
> I am running it under pdaXrom 1.1.0 RC10.  It runs okay, unless sound
> being used, in which case it slows down a lot.

Cool :-)

> There is one outstanding issue, though I'm sure I'll find more:
>
> 1. The frame rate (in Emulation Speed) cannot be altered and is stuck at
> '0'.

I haven't seen a Zaurus since I reviewed one several years ago, but I guess
pdaXrom is an X-based environment (rather than the Qtopia on fbdev of the
standard Zaurus)? You're using E-UAE's Gtk+ GUI?

> 2. Sound is very choppy.

What sound API does pdaXrom provide? Are you building against SDL?

> If anyone has experience in cross-compilation, could you suggest why the
> configure script would get sysconfig.h definitions totally wrong?

Hehe. Good question. I do cross-compile E-UAE for several platforms, so I may
be able to help.

As an example, here's what I use to configure E-UAE to build an AmigaOS4
binary against SDL:

./configure  --host=ppc-amigaos --build=i686-linux
--with-zlib=/usr/local/amiga/ppc-amigaos/SDK/local/clib2 CFLAGS="-O3
-D__USE_INLINE__" --with-caps
--with-caps-prefix=/home/evilrich/ipfdevlib_amigaos-m68k --enable-scsi-device
--with-sdl-gfx
--with-sdl-prefix=/usr/local/amiga/ppc-amigaos/SDK/local/newlib

I specify the system I want to build for with the --host switch and the system
I'm cross-compiling on with the --build switch.

The --with-zlib switch points to where zlib for the system you're building for
can be found (zlib is an absolute requirement at the moment and if you don't
specify where it can be found, the configure script will pick up the build
system's zlib - which will typically be in /usr - and you'll get /usr/include
added to the include path and /usr/lib to the libs path and everything will
be horribly messed up.)

I'm building against SDL here, and, similarly, the --with-sdl-prefix switch
points to where SDL for the system you're building for can be found. Miss
this out, and it'll pick up the build system's SDL instead and, again, things
will go wrong.

If you mail me (off-list) your config.log after configuring, I might have a
better idea what's giving you problems.

> Also,
> many libraries were not linked in, so I did this manually.  I am using
> the pdaXrom cross-compilation toolchain.

Are you using the pdaXrom cross development kit? I'll have a look at that when
I get some time and see if I can spot anything obvious which might cause
difficulties.