[uae] Re: E-UAE and window mode in OS X

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:42:08 -0500

Hi Jerome

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 04:22 am, Jerome Rabas wrote:
> Does the speed issue in windowed mode only happen with OS X?

On most platforms I would expect windowed-mode to be slightly slower than
full-screen - if only for the reason that UAE gets the display to itself in
full-screen mode and so there's less clipping, layering, or whatever for the
graphics system to take care of.

On OS X, the difference is substantial, however. This is because, in windowed
mode, the rendering has to go through the Quartz compositing layer.

Using OpenGL to render UAE's output to the screen may improve things in
windowed mode. I plan to implement this for version 0.8.28 (or whatever I end
up calling the next version).