[uae] Re: E-UAE and JACK support

  • From: "Mathias Burén" <mathias.buren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 06:15:57 +0200

2007/7/6, Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Mathias

On Thursday 05 July 2007 21:55:39 Mathias Burén wrote:
> Hi! Long time E-UAE user, new to the list though ;-)

Welcome! :-)

Thanks :>

I have a feature request:

> How difficult would it be to make E-UAE use the JACK daemon for audio
> output?

It should be relatively straight-forward to add a driver for doing audio
output to JACK. I'm never studied the JACK API, but the interface between
E-UAE and the audio driver is quite simple.

> Not necessarily for synchronous playback or such, but just because
> I (and others) use the JACK daemon as a sound backend for all audio
> applications, and that locks the audio device. Is it even theoretically
> possible at all?

It should be possible.

It might not be necessary, though. Isn't it possible to configure
libasound to
output to JACK rather than directly to the ALSA driver? I'm pretty sure
there's a libasound plug-in that does that, and E-UAE does support
libasound
(E-UAE's ALSA driver).

Richard Drummond

Web:  http://www.rcdrummond.net/
Mail: mailto:evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah, by installing the package libasound2-plugins in Ubuntu you would get
that functionality, but you don't (see my thread created here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491984 ) since; well I quote
myself: "*However*, the version shipped with Feisty has got jack support *
disabled* because it build depends on a package in multiverse, and you can't
have a package in main which builddepends on something in multiverse I have
learned."  So I was forced to recompile the package with JACK-support, and
it works. The reason I'm asking for this is that not all are willing to
recompile that package and all that ;-), but I guess it's not a big deal. If
it's easy to implement and you feel like it, it would save some users a bit
of hassle :-), but I can understand that it's not necessary.

Regards,
Mathias