[uae] Re: Date/time conversion sometimes right, sometimes wrong

  • From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:32:20 +0100

Am Montag, 1. November 2004 06:46 schrieb Richard Drummond:
> Hi Martin
>
> On Saturday 30 October 2004 05:31 pm, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > All three directory listing should show the exact same dates and
> > times for each file. But from what I see this is only true for
> > listing 2 and 3.
>
> I don't think it's possible to get the three to agree.
>
> The problems is that with Amiga filesystems, the date-stamp on a file
> is always interpreted as local time. This is not so on a Unix
> filesystem; there the date-stamp is in UTC.

Hello Rich,

I don't understand you here: I thought that UAE has a conversion between
local time (for the Amiga side datestamp) and UTC (for storing files on
the host filesystem on Linux and other operating systems using UTC). And
if this conversion actually *does work*, all the directory listings have
to show the same time at least when the "ls" command converts UTC to
local time before displaying the date and time as I would expect it to
do. Even if it does not, the too Amiga side directory listings have to
show exactly the same date and time for each file otherwise its clear to
me that the local time to UTC conversion actually does not work
correctly. To me it just seems that the summertime fix you applied does
not work in all times. Well next occasion I find time I think I will
verify this. The laptop is running in CET instead auf CEST again.

> It would be possible to change the UAE virtual filesystem system so
> that it stamps all files with local times, but this has at least two
> problems:

Why should that be necessary? IMHO all it needs is a *working* local time
to UTC and vice versa conversion and the point I am trying to make and
prove with that three directory listings is that right now this
conversion doesn't work correctly in all cases. For me this is quite
obvious as in some cases from those listings the time conversion works
correctly and in other it does not work.

Regards,