[uae] Re: Booting from HD

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:47:46 -0500

Hi Floyd

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 05:13 pm, Floyd Resler wrote:
> Could someone tell me how to set up E-UAE to boot from the HD or point me
> the right direction?

You can mount a directory on your host computer as a virtual disk in E-UAE.

For example, if I create the directory /home/evilrich/UAE/System then I can
mount that in E-UAE as the device DH0: with volume name System: by adding the
following line to my config file:

filesystem2=rw,DH0:System:/home/evilrich/UAE/System,1

The format of this option is:

filesystem2=<R/W>:<DEVICE>:<VOLUME>:<PATH>,<BOOTPRI>

where

<R/W>     = whether the filesystem is writeable (rw = writeable, ro =
           read-only)
<DEVICE>  = the DOS device name
<VOLUME>  = the volume name
<PATH>    = the path in the host filesystem to mount
<BOOTPRI> = the device's boot priority.

A virtual disk is always bootable. It will be booted if it's the device with
the highest boot priority. You obviously need to install AmigaOS on it, for
it to actually boot into something useful.

As well as virtual disks, you can also you hard files. A hard file is a file
containing a raw image of a real filesystem. These are slightly more
complicated to set up, but are faster, but have the disadvantages that they
are not easily accessible from the host (although on Linux you can mount an
FFS hard file on the host if you have affs support in your kernel), and the
fact that they are currently limited to 2GB in size. Hard files are slightly
faster, though.

If you want help with using hard files, just ask.