[uae] Re: 8.28 and linux framebuffer

  • From: Don Venhaus <76665.562@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:33:59 -0400

> > BTW, two other things ( maybe SDLs problem). If there is no resolution
> > change it looks like uae didn't come up. But if I switch consoles ( Alt-F2,
> > then back with Alt-F1) it's there.

> I don't quite understand you there.

If the console buffer is at 640x480 ( for example ) and uae wants a 640x480
buffer, it looks like it never really started, or sometimes it will be
partially off the top of the screen. But switching consoles shows it properly.
It's like the initial refresh just didn't happen. If uae wants a 800x600 size
screen ( for example ), then it comes up fine.

> > Also, with 8-bit mode, colors are wacky.

> Define 'wacky'? ;-)

Well, it's not in my dictionary! I guess I meant "not what you would expect",
which is to say, wrong. The colors do change when I change the palette in
prefs, but in wacky ways. Like the colors aren't being packed into the
colortable properly.

Maybe this is the framebuffer code. ( behaviour is the same for 8.27 and
8.28 ). I'm using the matrox modules.

One thing I've noticed is that if the chipset=aga, and the screen is
8-bits, you get a black screen. It can be confusing. Since you can't really do
aga on an 8-bit screen, maybe you should just bail in that case.

> I just noticed how buggy that code really was.

That makes me feel better. I thought I was losing it. :')

don