[u3aavcuss] Web mail and Protection Software

  • From: Ron & Rosemary M - U3A <ronandrosemary62-u3a@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: U3A CUSS Group <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:29:35 +0000 (GMT)

Good morning all

I have read Mike Sanders after Christmas comments and would fully agree with
him about using web mail rather than Microsoft Outlook. I have had a good look
at Google Mail some time ago and although I will stick with BTYahoo for the
present if anyone was thinking of going the web mail route I would recommend
it. The best thing about Web Mail is the ability to pick up your email anywhere
on any PC

Another interesting quirk that arose over the Christmas period is the Norton
Protection provided as part of the BT Broadband package. It would seem that BT
will be changing from Norton to NetProtect Plus by McAfee. All new customers
now get this in their package and old customers will be asked to change over
the next few months. I have no real evidence but it seems to me that recently
Norton takes for ever to access the it's own on-line centre.

Anyway I will be removing Norton and installing the new McAfee over the next
few days having first fully backed up my PC using Acronis as recommended by
Mike S a few months back.

Will keep you all posted !

Bye Ron Meadowcroft :-)