[u3aavcuss] Re: AVG update

  • From: "Mike Bean" <Mike.Bean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 18:50:22 +0100

You can download as many different virus/trojan detecting & removing
products as you like - there are, as we have see, a number of them.

You could run more than one at the same time but they sometimes clash with
each other as the deep inspection the products need to do to can look like a
virus at work to another virus checker AND it would most certainly slow your
machine down. I say this because it is widely reported and I have,
inadvertently, done it myself in the past.

More recent editions of Windows appears to be able to warn you that you are
running two (or more) security products but I may be seeing some product
defence against non-Microsoft products so I may be wrong.

I have relied on Microsoft Security Essentials since I downloaded it when it
changed from Windows LiveOne Care and became a free product. When run it
disables Windows Defender (if you have it) and takes on a complete
virus/malware/intrusion detection operation getting its new-threat details 3
times a day so is usually well up to date in dealing with new threats.

All virus/trojan detections software will fail sometime but I have found
this to be fine for the year I've been using it.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx

Its not worth faffing around with AVG - try downloading Microsoft Security
Essentials and ditch AVG.

ANYONE ELSE have a view on this?

Mike

  _____