[TURC] Re: Public Sector Workers in Atlantic

  • From: Tony Clark <tclark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:05:12 -0600

The Broadbent Institute just released a report on the political activities of
right-leaning charities: "Stephen Harper's CRA: selective audits, "political"
activity, and right-leaning charities,"
http://www.broadbentinstitute.ca/sites/default/files/documents/harpers-cra-final.pdf

Broadbent takes a shot at the Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, the
Frontier Centre for Public Policy, and others along the same lines as I wrote
below to TURC in September.

Good stuff, though they left out the Manning Foundation. I have a feeling we'll
hear more about them soon...

Tony Clark
Alberta Federation of Labour

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:57:45 -0300
From: christine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:christine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TURC] Public Sector Workers in Atlantic
Hi everyone
Any help on how to frame a response to this new study by our right wing think
tank is appreciated.
http://www.aims.ca/en/home/library/details.aspx/3721
n The Size and Cost of Atlantic Canada's Public Sector, authors Ben Eisen and
Shaun Fantauzzo compare public sector employment rates in the ten Canadian
provinces. They show that the public sector employment rates are higher than
the national average in all four Atlantic Provinces, and that public sector
workers receive a larger share of all labour income in the regional economy
than elsewhere in the country.

Specific findings include (all data is from 2013):

* Nationally, 17.8 per cent of all jobs are in the civilian public sector. In
Atlantic Canada, this number is significantly higher, at 22.6 percent.

* Sub-national public sector employment-excluding federal employees-rates are
significantly higher in Atlantic Canada than in the rest of the country. The
cost of employing these additional workers is a significant expense for the
region's taxpayers. Nationally, there are 84 sub-national public sector
employees per 1,000 residents. This number is higher in all four Atlantic
Provinces. In Newfoundland and Labrador, there are 109 such employees per 1,000
residents. In Nova Scotia, there are 99 employees per 1,000 residents, in PEI
there are 95 such employees and in New Brunswick there are 85 sub-national
public sector employees per 1,000 residents.

* Due to high rates of public sector employment, and a large gap between the
average compensation for public- and private-sector workers, public sector
workers in Atlantic Canada earn a significantly larger share of all labour
income in the economy than in the rest of the country. Nationally, public
sector workers receive 22.3 per cent of all labour income. In Atlantic Canada,
that figure is 31.3 per cent. The provincial figures are: 40.3 per cent in PEI;
31.6 per cent in Newfoundland and Labrador; 31 per cent in New Brunswick; and
30.2 per cent in Nova Scotia.

* The authors calculate the impact of high rates of public sector employment in
excess of the national average on the public sector wage bill that is borne by
taxpayers. They show that public sector employment in excess of the national
average increases the public sector wage bill in the region by a total of $1.89
billion. To put this figure in context, the combined regional provincial budget
deficit in the 2012-13 fiscal year was $1.08 billion

-A high-quality public sector workforce that delivers public services
efficiently and effectively can contribute to economic prosperity and
maintaining such a workforce requires paying competitive wages," said Mr.
Eisen. "At the same time, governments across the region are facing an ongoing
fiscal crunch and need to be frugal and carefully examine all areas of
spending. Gradually working to bring public sector employment rates closer into
line with the national average is one strategy that may help address the fiscal
challenges we are facing."
--
Christine Saulnier, PhD
Nova Scotia Director

Unifor Local 567

--

Christine Saulnier, PhD

Nova Scotia Director

Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives

PO Box 8355, Halifax, NS B3K 5M1

(902) 240-0926

For more information, to become a member or make a donation:

www.policyalternatives.ca<http://www.policyalternatives.ca>

Friend CCPANS on facebook

Follow CCPANS on twitter

Unifor Local 567