[TURC] NUPGE response to C-51

  • From: Andrew McNeill <AMcNeill@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:49:58 +0000

People may be interested in NUPGE's response to Bill C-51, the federal
governments so-called anti-terrorism legislation, Who Watches the
Watchers<http://nupge.ca/sites/nupge.ca/files/documents/who_watches_the_watchers_bill_c51_web_version.pdf>.
 This piece is intended for our members and others who are part of the labour
movement.

The position of union members on measures like C-51 is not significantly
different than that of the general population. This means we have a
responsibility to do what we can to make sure our members have the facts about
the threat the legislation poses to human rights, particularly as measures
restricting human rights frequently end up being used against unions. The piece
also points out that the legislation has less to do with protecting Canadians
than allowing the federal government to divert attention from other issues.

Andrew McNeill
National Representative
NUPGE