Re: Gene's transformation

  • From: Gene W Smith <genewardsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tuning-math@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:53:52 -0700

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:02:33 -0700 Carl Lumma <carl@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I saw a bit on Robert Walker's tune's page...
>
> http://robertinventor.com/tunes/index.htm
>
> ...on a technique developed by Gene 'for transforming the tuning of a
> tune while keeping the melodic line intact'.
>
> Robert (hello, Robert!) says everything he knows of the technique is
> embodied in some posts of Gene's.  I found the posts copied below,
> but I cannot decipher the technique.  Is there a post I'm missing,
> Gene?  Or a chance I could get a primer on how it works?  The way I
> read the first post, it seems like a trivial mapping of intervals
> from one temperament to another?  No?

The stuff Robert used was such a mapping, defined by a mapping from
generators to generators of p-limit JI. I have an old paper I recently
uncovered which my brother is supposed to scan for me, and which has both
a certain historical interest but also a practical one, in that it
explains this and goes on to transformations which are not note-to-note.
with the subject line "info tuning-math".  Or visit the
website:  < //www.freelists.org/list/tuning-math > .