[tos-list] TOS Spring Meeting--Freeport--April 24-27, 2014

  • From: "Jim Hailey" <irasciblej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TOS-List" <tos-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Texbirds '" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:26:29 -0600

It has been a week since the TOS Winter Meeting in Round Rock.  I must
congratulate the Williamson Audubon Group and several TOS Board members for
a magnificent job in bring all of the necessary ingredients together to make
this the largest TOS meeting ever--over 250 attending.  I have had many,
many comments on how well organized, how friendly and helpful the local
sponsors were, and the amazing field trips and field trip leaders we had.  A
big hand to all!

This past summer when we began preparing for the winter meeting,  I
approached the local weather guru about what would be the perfect weekend in
January to have that meeting--he said January 16-20.  He was right on.  At
the same time I asked for the best time in April to hold the Spring meeting
and he said April 24-27.  He opined that that weekend would be the most
likely time that a passing front on Thursday night would result in a major
fallout for the weekend.  Let's hope he is as right about April as he was
about January.

Please save these dates an make plans to attend another well organized and
fun weekend of Spring Migration birding on the Texas coast.  Our host for
this meeting is the Gulf Coast Bird Observatory (GCBO).  I spoke with Carol
Jones today and she has thing well in hand.   There will be more than a
dozen field trips each day, led by knowledgeable, local guides to some of
the best know hotspots along the coast.  In addition, Carol has made
arrangements for us to visit several sites not available to the public
except by special invitation.  This is the perfect equation: Texas coast +
spring migration + great leaders = amazing birding experience.
And there will be trips for Century Clubbers to the surrounding counties.

We have also lined up a great list of speakers and there will be afternoon
presentations as well.  We have secured Greg Lavaty to be our Thursday guest
speaker.  Greg is an AMAZING photographer of birds,  so this is one you will
not want to miss.  On Friday we have a real Texas treat, Mark Lockwood.
Mark is an icon in Texas birding and one of the authors of the upcoming
updated TOS Handbook of Texas Birds.  Finally, our keynote on Saturday will
feature Dr. Drew Lanham, Professor of Wildlife Ecology at Clemson
University.  I met Drew at the Focus on Diversity Conference in McAllen last
fall and he is dynamic speaker as well as a poet.  You will not want to miss
Drew's first visit to the Texas coast in migration.  He is very excited.

So please prepare to join TOS and the GCBO in Freeport on April 24.  You
should receive your registration material by mid-March at the latest.  I'll
be looking for you there!

Jim Hailey
President
Texas Ornithological Society