[tor] proposal: putting information into the rDNS record

  • From: tagnaq <tagnaq@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 16:06:23 +0200

Hi,

I would find it valuable if one could determine the following
information by simply querying the rDNS record of a torservers IP:
- ISP
- host
- tor instances (per IP)
optionally: country, rootserver or vserver, uplink speed

example:
maumau2.tnm1.torservers.net

This would tell you:
There are two Tor instances on that IP, they are named maumau and
maumau2 (Tor Router Names), they are running on the first server hosted
at tnmedia, called tnm1

or with country code:
maumau2.tnm1.ro.torservers.net

others would probably look something like this:

morales2.tnm1.torservers.net
kato2.tnm1.torservers.net

manning.axigy1.torservsers.net
saeed.axigy1.torservers.net

wau.codero1.torservers.net

raskin.defaultroute1.torservers.net

zeller.defaultroute2.torservers.net

ronin.euserv1.torservers.net

chomsky.nforce1.torservers.net
rainbowwarrior.nforce1.torservers.net

politkovskaja.nforce2.torservers.net
rockhall.nforce2.torservers.net

If subdomains are not possible simple substitute the . with -

benefits:
---------
- one could simply list all nodes from a specific country/ at a specific
ISP / from a specific host
- this can also be valuable for abuse handling if the reporter includes
the rDNS. Or the abuse handler simply queries the DNS and knows
immediately at which ISP this host is running (abuse email is probably
prioritized by affected ISP's - I guess)

What do you think about it?

tagnaq