[tor] Re: Rokabear, Icelandic Hosting for Tor (was: Re: Re: TorserversFoundation Meeting Planning)

  • From: Klaus Layer <klaus.layer@xxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 07:13:17 +0100

"Will Smith" <nood@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 18.02.2011:
> Wow it is great to hear I'm on the same track as some of your thinking. I'm
assuming the $1200 figure is too costly for the group now, correct? I've
spoken at length with one of the admins at 1984 and I feel like we could
throttle the node ourselves and they could monitor externally and just shut it
down if we exceed a previously agreed upon limit. Does anyone here have
experience running a Tor Exit Node off a VPS? What's the smallest requirements
I could get away with?

Some time ago I run middle relay on a VPS. The problems with VPS is that they
in general set limits like a maximum number of concurrent TCP connections.
Server4you had a limit of 160 TCP connections for their cheapest offer. Even
for the most expensive VPS offerings of server4you the limit of TCP connection
is to small that it is worth. Same thing with Hosteurope and other VPS hoster.

Klaus