[tor] Fwd: [Torservers] relayor: automation for relay operators (ansible)

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 12:12:21 +0100

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Torservers] relayor: automation for relay operators (ansible)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 21:53:53 +0000
From: Nusenu <nusenu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tor-relays@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

computers are better at doing repeatable things over and over again so
let them take care of boring tasks.

Based on David's ansible-tor [1] I created an ansible role to make
relay operations more convenient (see the initial commit message for a
longer list of changes).

https://github.com/nusenu/relayor

Core features:

- configure multipe tor instances on a server automatically
        generates two instances per available IP address
        (Memory auto detection is not implemented yet)
- take care of MyFamily automatically
- user configurable Nickname prefix
- easy Exit/Non-Exit setting (boolean)
- alpha vs. stable releases (boolean)

Supported platforms:
        - Debian
        - CentOS
        - OpenBSD

Everything is still fresh, so I would NOT recommend to use this on
production relays. Testing and review is appreciated.

There is still a crucial piece missing (init scripts), but I hope tor
packagers are willing to incorporate multi-init support patches (see
issues).

I also have parts that adds monitoring (munin+vnstat+webserver) but
that will go into a separate role.

If you have never heard of ansible, it speaks to your servers using
SSH and does not require an agent or a central management server -
just run it from you client machine.
http://www.ansible.com/resources (not entirely torbrowser friendly)
http://docs.ansible.com

If you are planing to run this role over tor when connecting to your
servers, make sure you have the following set in your ~/.ansible.cfg:
ssh_args = -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=60s

This ansible role is not about bridges or hidden services, but I'd
like to add "management HSes" (SSH and monitoring) in the future.

Nusenu

[1] https://github.com/david415/ansible-tor