[torontocbm] Re: Planet Quarx

  • From: Kevin Casteels <alterus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ernie Chorny <torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 16:37:39 -0700

Hi Ernie,

Thanks for digging that up. So it would seem this definitely was meant to be a
release ‎by RTC, whether it was sold beyond their own store is another
question. I would like to send my disk to someone to see if any data can be
recovered from it. Who would have the equipment to do a deep scan of the disk?
I've tried with zoomfloppy and the 1541ultimate2 disk copy utility and zero
luck. They won't even start to read.

Kevin

On 2015-04-16 4:21 AM, Kevin Casteels wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the mailing list here and this in my first post. I
grew up new Cobourg, Ontario and have always been into C64 stuff, but
until recently I wasn't aware of the TPUG. I wish I had known
before... Now I live in Victoria, BC and meetings are a bit far!

I have a bit of a mystery... I recently began archiving my collection
of floppies to .d64 and there is one disk which I was really hoping to
recover. As a kid it got corrupted and stopped working but I was
hoping I could at least salvage something using Zoomfloppy or my
1541u2. Well its totally gone... Nothing at all left on the disk.
The game in question is called Planet Quarx by RTC (Richvale
Telecommunications). They were based in Richmond Hill, Ontario so I
was hoping that someone on this list might know something about it. I
was able to find a review of the game here:

http://www.bobnj.com/cbm/articles/KilobaudMicro/1983_12%20PET-pourri.pdf

on page 5, top right. Basically its a game where you start out
dodging asteroids on your way to Planet Quarx, and when you finally
get there you fly around on the surface. I've also attached a picture
of the disk, in case it helps. I have been unable to find this game
in any of the online collections of archives and it would be really
great if someone has a copy!

Thanks,
Kevin