[torontocbm] Re: Making CBM disk images

  • From: STEVE GRAY <sjgray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:44:53 -0700 (PDT)

Ernie,

I am not aware of anything that can make D80/D82 images on a real Commodore
machine. I guess theoretically it's possible but in order to save the file you
would require a large drive, so 8050 images could be stored on a 1581 disk, but
8250 images won't fit. You'd probably need a uIEC or similar, which means at
the moment you wouldn't be able to do that easily on a PET/CBM/CBMII machine.
So, you are looking at doing it on a C64 machine with IEEE adapter.

For making D80/D82 images I use a B128 machine connected to a PC using a serial
cable and the CBMLINK software plus my own CBMXfer gui for it.

As for directly on a PC, reading a 8x50 disk is not possible since PC 5 1/4"
drives use the now-standard 96TPI but 8x50 drives use 100TPI mechanisms.

I am always looking for additional transfer solutions, so if I come across
something I'll let you know.

Steve