[torontocbm] Re: By the way.......

  • From: James Alexander <james.m.alexander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 18:57:15 -0400

Hey Gil,

You're response to Gonad was spot on. His deadly combination of arrogance and blinding stupidity is why I point him out to people who want to legalize pot and say "living proof of why not!". You should email the people I pointed out and tell them your sick of the idiocy thats going on. As long as they think its only 1 person complaining then nothing will happen.

As for the TPUG CD-rom the reason I brought it up in public is partly the same reason, I heard its "real soon now" since WoC 2007 and even earlier. I finally asked in public so the guys in TPUG would know many people want it. If they finally get it together as they say everyone who wants it can have it and they can raise the money to keep TPUG going. As for you and me getting it I will buy one, and I will make it available to a few people I know who may not be buying it. I am not advertising this yet but much of it will end up on my bbs downloads area along with the TAF PD library which I did a cd-rom of a few years ago which was never released. In fact I still have the 8bit library in my basement and since that club has not had any meetings in several years theres been no requests for the disks. When I was doing the cd-rom and picked up the library dicks for the 8bit side the one remaining librarian who's a friend of mine (I should look him up and get back in touch) said I'd been the last person to buy any of the disks way back in 1998 (this was 2000 and 2001 era). I find the PD & shareware stuff more interesting cause many of the commodore websites are only pirated games and nothing else. The user written stuff was common to mainly user groups and smaller bbs much of it is gone. What little is left is often inaccessable. Take for example 2 programs I found in a box of commodore stuff I bought at a hamfest back in 2003, mikes dir tider and super scratch pq. Both of those were likely the sole remaining copies of those programs when I found them. I uploaded copies to retro-link in march and put them on andrew wiskows telnet bbs back early last year. Another I found at a flea market recently in courtice was a word processor called totl.text 2.6 from 1982, its a C64 word processor written in basic and not compiled (ie very early 64 program). Thats another one I've seen mentioned online but never found a copy of it anywhere. I do find those original and now uncommon programs fascinating. and often useful at least for my commodore usage anyways.

ttyl
James

Gil Winkler wrote:
Criticism of a process/people or institution is not necessarily an attack, and is NOT in my case, I simply have a hard time swallowing the notion that in 2009, the TPUG board of directors has not bothered at this point to ensure that the library is on CD
or available online.....it seems quite odd to me.
Anyways, I am done with this line of inquiry, the response has been too hostile for my liking. Hopefully the TPUG library will be available in some form other than floppy relatively soon. Until then I will eagerly await. Gil