[tokyoprogressive] CPN#166: GMO Protests, Japan Racism Law, Patriotism in Japanese Schools, more

  • From: tokyoprogressive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tokyoprogressive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 02:22:13 -0600

__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/_/__/__/__/__/__/
TokyoProgressive's ChocoPaul News
            Issue #166  March 21 2003

        http://tokyoprogressive.org

Mailing List Subscribe
メーリングリストに参加する
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=tokyoprogressive
_/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/_/__/__/__/

Latest stories all here (best graphics):
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php

This week's stories (after 1-2 weeks, come here):
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/topblog.php?id=D20030520

Past stories:
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/topblog.php?id=D20030101

このサイトのどの記事にもコメントできます /
Feel free to comment on any story

または/Or

フォラム(BBS)/Discussion Forum
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/forum/forum.php?which=mainforum

News this week is a continuation of last week's.  You can see a description of
last week's articles in the previous issue of the newsletter (165):
//www.freelists.org/archives/tokyoprogressive/05-2003/fullthread2.html

The stories covered there include the new Self-Publishing features, ZNet
introduction, Do We Really have Free Speech, Save Our Schools, Zinn on
Patriotism, U.S. Weapons of Mass Destruction, faked Photos of Iraqis Welcomimg
U.S. and British Troops, South Korea and North Korean Human Rights, Cigarette
Companies Killing People, U.S. Military Occupation of Schools in Iraq, and more.

Please set encoding for Japanese automatic or automatic to see best view.

In the new issue (articles still on top page, or go to
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/topblog.php?id=D20030520), you will find these
stories:

Expanded Self-Publishing Page/あなたがリポータ
tokyoprogressive.org/news/selfpublishing.html

Last week we introduced Wakana Yokota and her paintings & essays. To that, we
have added Richard Wilcox and his environmental/media contributions.

Wakana
Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/wakana.html

Richard
Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/rick.html

Soon other contribuitors from Japan who have appeared on this site, Japan
Indymedia, etc.
GMO Protest and Police Repression

A police crackdown on the Biodevastation 7 event in St. Louis, Missouri--home
of MONSANTO--continues to raise alarm bells about political repression in the
U.S. and around the world.

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P460_0_2_0_C

There is also a link to an article on how Monsanto's Roundup Ready has
contaminated groundwater in Denmark. Another article looks at the continuing
struggle by survivors of the Bhopal, India Union Carbide/Dow Chemical disaster
to hold the company responsible.

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P450_0_2_0_C
Racism and Forced Patriotism in Japan

Meanwhile, in Japan, the ultra-nationalist Ministry of Education has been
trying to force school kids to be patriotic by grading them on their "love of
country": Article 1 and Article 2.

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P459_0_2_0_C
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P458_0_2_0_C

 This article by historian Howard Zinn, from last week, helps puts the notion
of "patriotism" in perspective.

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P436_0_2_0_C

All is not dark as far as civil liberties are concerned, however, as lawyers
with the Japan Civil Liberties Union have recently prepared legislation banning
racial discrimination, and they want YOUR comments to help make the proposed
law as effective as possible.

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P457_0_2_0_C

Also: INDYMEDIA JAPAN ARTICLES:

Japanese Rights Groups urge UN to realise justice for East Timor
Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://japan.indymedia.org/feature/display/383/index.php

人権団体、東ティモール人権侵害裁判を要請
Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://japan.indymedia.org/feature/display/385/index.php
Dixie Chicks' Nude Pose Distort Anti-war Message, Honoring Rachel Corrie

How to confront the war machine continues to be debated, as in this article by
Cynthia Peters on the decision by the Dixie Chicks to pose nude in an effort to
soften criticism of their anti-war stand. As Peters says, "Female nudity in
this society is used by marketers to get people to buy things. Furthermore, and
perhaps more damaging, it trains us to think of women as consumable objects,
and it works to flatten complex human relationships (such as those expressed
through sexuality), and convince us that human needs can be met in the
marketplace".

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P454_0_2_0_C

Rachel Corrie's mother, Carrie, talks about rachel in this Mother's Day
piece,The Daughter I Can't Hear From (Rachel Corrie's Mother), who tells us we
need to carry on rather than simply mourn her daughters death, quoting one of
many people who have written to her in recent days: "I write to you as a parent
myself and also as a Muslim who believes passionately in the freedom and
dignity of every individual on our earth. It seems to me that we too carelessly
forget or disbelieve our shared identity across all times and cultures, when in
fact we are one human family desperately in need of peacemakers."

And this: "We are a group of Jews who believe that the Occupation of the West
Bank and Gaza is unjust, immoral, and completely contradictory to the best
interests not only of the Palestinian people but of Israel and the Jewish
people. We work to help people, both Jewish and non-Jewish, to find their
voice, to speak up and speak out, to understand that criticism of the Israeli
government and its inhumane policies is not only important, but absolutely
critical to our future."

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P451_0_2_0_C

Nobel PEACE prize?

It's no joke. A rightist member of the Nobel Prize committee has proposed that
Bush and Blair be awarded the Peace Prize. We HAVE to stop this one, and here
is one way. Sign the petition NOW to protest awarding Bush and Blair the peace
prize.

TAKE ACTION NOW!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/302184339

Support Nuke and War resisters. These people, Israel, the U.S., Great Britain
have gone to jail to stop the war machine. Write them and give them
encouragement.

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P449_0_2_0_C

Last, two powerful essays. The first, by Edward Herman,NY Times: Big and Small
Lies, exposes the hypocrisy of the NY Times in pretending to be upset about the
fabrications of one reporter when it has been fabricating and slanting the news
for decades in an effort to prop up the lies of the U.S. government.

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P455_0_2_0_C

 Arundhati Roy, has, as usual, a breath-taking article, Democracy is the
World's Whore, covering everything from empire to war to globalization, to
boycotts and resistance, to alternative media.

Read and comment
読む/コメントする
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/tpnews_comments.php?id=P456_0_2_0_C

Main Links/リンク集

100s of links to activist sites and references on such
issues as Biotechnology, Disability, Education, Environment,
Food, Gender, Glbalization....
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/linkblog.php
Selected Stories from the Past
ちょっと前の記事

Japanese Education,Japanese Media,Japanese  Health and End Environment
Japanese Police and Immigration,Japanese Militarism,Japanese Other
Balkans,East Timor,Environment,Food,Globalization,Kosovo
Law and Human Rights/Justice,Labor,Language Learning,Latin America
Media,Paul's Essays,Peace and War,Third World

All here:
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/link2.html
Other News Sites
その他の独立系オンラインメディア
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/index.php#othernewssites

Self Publishing
あなたがリポータ

記事を発表する
詩や歌(歌詞)を発表する
サウンドファイルを発表する
画を発表する
あなたからのニュース
詩と歌を読む
サ ウンドファイルを聴く
画を見る
ポールの歌を聴く
TPラジオなどを聴く
ここです

SELF PUBLISHING PAGE
Submit your news stories
Submit your poems and song lyrics
Submit sound and graphics
Read your stories
Read your poems and songs
Listen to your sound files
View your graphics
Listen to Paul's songs
Listen to TP Radio, etc.
All here:
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/selfpublishing.html
Community
コミュニティ

Songs
Chibi (a Cat)
Teaching
Dictionary
Chat
Web Space
Classes
Email
http://tokyoprogressive.org/news/communityblog.php
____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/

Please note that the opinions expressed in any articles or links are
those of the original author(s) and do not necessraily reflect our own
views.

MAIN URL
http://tokyoprogressive.org

SUMMARY OF SERVICES

In brief, TokyoProgressive offers newswires, links, forums, free hosting to
people with a worthy project, a weekly newsletter (what you are reading right
now), and more.

If you have any questions, please send them to TokyoProgressive:
http://www.tokyoprogressive.org/mail2paul.html

copyleft 2002 |tokyoprogressive |