[tokyoprogressive] CPN#130 PEACE ACTIONS, OKINAWA, MIDDLE EAST....

  • From: tokyoprogressive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tokyoprogressive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 00:39:47 +0900

        ____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/
                   TokyoProgressive's ChocoPaul News
                      http://tokyoprogressive.org

                               Issue 130

               Peace News, Okinawa, Middle East...
             ____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/____/

Welcome to the latest issue of ChocoPaul News.

A few people reported problems with links or
the table in the weblog looking strange on MACS
and sometimes Windows.  I removed the table from the latest
notes.  Let me know (if you had problems) if
they are gone now.

First some links that SHOULD HAVE come out earlier.
That is one thing that is wrong with the peace movement in
japan.  It needs to get the word out more than it has.  Tomorrow
and the next few days are the last days of anti-war
demonstrations aimed at opposing the Japanese government's
growing moves toward mobilizing to support a US war.
ANTI-WAR DEMONSTRATIONS THIS WEEK
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85111213

OKINAWA PEACE and OTHER SOCIAL JUSTICE MOVEMENTS IN JAPAN
in Japanese and English
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85111837

SIGN THE DECLARATION:
Citizen's Coalition of Hiroshima against the Wartime Law.
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85111176

(SEND IT BACK TO
contact: Citizenn's Network/ Kannami-building 2-21-6 Misaki-cho,
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan.  Tel 81-3-3221-4668, Fax 81-3-3221-2558)

e-mail: tokada@xxxxxxxxxxx

DISCUSS
http://www.arenson.org/forums/board.php?boardid=10

More links follow....

This week we are seeing a number
of important peace activities as Japan moves further along
the path of militarization and cooperation with the world's
foremost terrorist government--the United States.

Surprised I used the word "terrorist"?  Don't be.  Martin Luther
spoke very similar words a year before he was cut down. He said
it about the country that was then killing millions in Vietnam as it
has hundreds of thousands in Hiroshima.

And as it would later in Afghanistan and Iraq (stay tuned for
part III in the recent series of wars that have only succeeded in
decimating the civilian population).

The mainstream press here in Japan paints Japanese government
cooperation with the U.S. in glowing terms, using worn
out cliches about "making an international contribution" and
"being willing to shed blood," as if that were a vurtue.
And they never mention that not only will young
Japanese fools possibly be  dying next to their American counterparts.
They will be killing the civilians of other countries in the name
of whatever the latest catch word is.

Remember the ironic slogans of the 60s? "Kill for Peace!"
THIS is where Japan is taking its young people, first
by whitewashing its textbooks (and yes, as we know,
the U.S. has done the same with ITS textbooks. That
is why we have Howard Zinn and Ienaga Saburo to tell
us what REALLY happened.

And then, this time, when they have convinced the
citizenry that Japan is and always has been a "normal
nation," they will put guns in the hands of young
people, this time in lock step with the same American military
that oblitered Hiroshima and Nagasaki in the atomic bombings
as they did Tokyo and other cities in the carpet bombing,
as they have done to Vietnam with Napalm, and to Afghanistani
and Serbian cities with depleted uranium.

What is it this time? Anti-terrorism?
Bin Ladin and Saddam Hussein were grateful recipients of CIA and
military assistance.  Now they are on the other side.  But don't worry,
the Northern Alliance will one day also be on the other side.  In fact,
if the Japanese and American governments have their way, laws that are
being enacted and social pressure will seek to silence those of us who
protest and resist the miltary machine.

If I have one criticism of the Japanese anti-war movements, it is
that traditional parties and citizens groups have been too
insular and unwilling to work together.  This may be changing.
I hope so.  There are many young people who are much less dogmatic
than some of the older generation.  But the other thing that
bothers me is that too much energy is spent ONLY opposing how
war preparations will harm Japan.  Few people in the
movement here have tried to show how much U.S. military
actions have harmed millions of people around the world.

This is one thing I hope will change.  We need to connect
the war against militarism with efforts to bring about
social and economic justice to all the world's citizens.

We need to focus on how the policies of our governments
and corporations have hurt both people domestically and
internationally, how globalization and restructuring
robs people of their lives and livelihoods as well as
creates economic refugees, migrant labor who are then
manipulated by the very same people who created them.

We need to show how the use of nationalism in times
of economic trouble is used to take advantage
of latent racism against ethnic and social minorities,
to feed the headlines with lies about "foreign crime".

We need to show that it is criminal to build up a war
machine that will kill our own and other nations'
kids, even while homeless people lie rotting in the
streets of our own cities.  We need a peace movement
that stands for justice and is as concerned with injustice
next door as it is with injustice in its own back yard.

Please visit those links at the top of the page!
Better yet, come to one of the demonstartions if you
in the neighborhood. And sign the petition!

Thanks,

Paul

Japanese Human Rights Issues

Lies of the Police and Governor Ishihara about the "increase"
in foreign crime
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85111092

Commencement of Lawsuit Seeking Injunction on Hamaoka Nuclear Plants
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_12_tokyoprog_archive.html#85098132

Amnesty International:  Japanese Immigration authorities
Violate Human Rights of foreign residents
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85108113

World Cup and Japanese police
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85108018

DISCUSS THESE STORIES
http://www.arenson.org/forums/board.php?boardid=10
MIDDLE EAST

Jewish Voice for Peace
Torture and ill-treatment of PLC member Marwan Barghouti, Palestinian
Peace Activist
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85111195

ALEXANDER COCKBURN'S DISTORTING LENS --Dennis Fox

The story continues---Dennis Fox confronts
Alexander Cockburn on the latter's accusations
that somehow Dennis' criticism of both
the Israeli government and the suicide
bombers somehow makes him an 'Israeli
apologist'.
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85108055

Support Israleli Refuseniks
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85108037

What Did Bush Know, When? May 22, 2002 By Michael Albert

The above question ( What Did Bush Know, When? )screams from mainstream
 newspapers. It froths from liberals' lips. What troubles me more,
however, is that some leftists also find it important.

http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85108026

Iraq: Smart Sanctions and the US Propaganda War May 21, 2002 By Anthony Arnove
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85108103

DISCUSS THESE STORIES
http://www.arenson.org/forums/board.php?boardid=10
Global Media News from Media Channel

BIAS AND THE POLITICS OF WORDS
FOR A FREE AND FAIR INTERNET
WHITE MEN AND STEREOTYPES:
WHAT WE SEE ON PRIME-TIME TV
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85111100

DEBT

As O'Neill and Bono Tour Africa: Comments from
Experts on Debt and Structural Adjustment
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_19_tokyoprog_archive.html#85108034

Clinton in East Timor
http://www.arenson.org/2002_05_12_tokyoprog_archive.html#85098138

DISCUSS THESE STORIES
http://www.arenson.org/forums/board.php?boardid=10

      Important Information about this list

      ---------Website---------
      http://tokyoprogressive.org
      http://arenson.org

      See the main page for mirror site listing

      //www.freelists.org/archives/tokyoprogressive/

      //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=1627

      Send: tokyoprogressive@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Archives