[tn-moths] sugar moths

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:55:31 -0500

 Checked my maple sap buckets yesterday evening to find dozens of Morrison's
Sallows, several Grote's Pinions and two FOY moths:  Straight-toothed Sallow
(Eupsilia vinulenta) and Wanton Pinion (Lithophane petulca).  Most of the
moths had collected in the bottom of the buckets under several gallons of
sap and rainwater.  They appeared totally lifeless until I brought several
into the house for closer inspection.  After about an hour they resuscitated
and crawled away!

J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga County, NC