[tn-moths] some answers to some questions

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 07:50:55 -0500

The following is taken from a reply I sent to a tn-moths subsciber
that e-mailed me with some questions. I thought some of the
information might be useful to the some in the group.

Larry McDaniel
Jonesborough, TN

I have used different approaches to what I photograph.
Typically, I shot everything I didn't recognize. Of course, at first that was
everything.
Now I shoot everything I can manage to get a decent photo of.
If something looks unusual I just get the best shot I can.
I have some blurry images of once only species.

The reason I have started shooting everything is that I send every moth shot I
take
to "Discover Life". They are building a massive data base of moth images
and are eager to receive more images (no IDs required). They have a team
dedicated to identifying the images. They are trying to establish new study
sites
with enthusiasts that can continue to send lots of moth images.
Check it out at http://www.discoverlife.org/
Browse the site but be sure to click on Projects, then Moths.
Let me or Nancy Lowe know if you have any questions about "Discover Life".

I use Moth Photographers Group a lot. It's great!
I often click on the Try Walking Through The Moth Families button
for moths I don't recognize and don't know where to look first in the main
plates.
This has saved me a lot of time.
To get back to the main plates, click on plate series in the main menu.

I also use BugGuide a lot. There you can get more information on each species.
I typically enter the Hodges# in the search box and go right to the species
account.
I use the data button a lot to get an idea of distribution.

I still use my Flickr site to save time searching. You can look there at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27634081@N06/sets/72157608707935389/

There are now a lot of other similar sites and you should check them out.
Merrill Lynch's and Ken Child's come to mind. There are others.

"Discover Life" has a fascinating identification key. Click on IDnature guides.

If you haven't used ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or the Facebook site

Mothing and Moth-watching you should consider checking them out
and/or subscribing to them. Lot's of great information.
There are many other sources on line but I spend the majority of my
searching in these places. I am very much an amerature and don't spend
as much time at some of the more technical sites
that some of our more advanced entusiasts do.

I have some books but don't use them nearly as much as I do the internet.
The new Peterson Field Guide to Moths of Northeastern North America,
by David Beadle and Seabrooke Leckie due out in April 2012, sounds like a must
have.
In the mean time I use Covell's field guide.
"Discovering Moths: Nighttime Jewels in Your Own Backyard" by Himmelman
is a very enjoyable and informative read.

I only work by photo but am considering doing a little collecting
for the Steele Creek Park Nature Center where I work in Bristol, TN.