[tn-moths] a dozen moths on the porch

  • From: Rikki Hall <sourpersimmon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:28:13 -0400

Hello all,

I've been an admirer of moths for a long time, but without the benefit of
names for them. I took an insect taxonomy class and learned families and how
to ID moths under a dissecting scope from wing venation, but I'm not sure
where to start with field identification. I'm hoping that participating on
this forum will help me learn names.

Last night about a dozen different moths came to my porch light, and I got
photos of nine or ten, viewable
here<http://www.bluemelon.com/sourpersimmon/porchmoths3-25-10>arranged
from largest to smallest. Following Dean Edwards coaching here, I
believe one is Eupithecia matheri and another Phoberia atomaris. Another
I've IDed to genus Pyreferra, and another to genus Lithophane, probably
innominata. I've learned these from tn-moths, but the remainder I have not
seen mentioned yet. I need some clues to get to family and genus. If you can
help, either leave comments with the album or reply to this post. If any are
notable, FOYs, etc let me know!

Thanks,
Rikki Hall
Rockford, Blount Co., lower Little River watershed