[tn-moths] Winged Deer Park Moth Study Site update

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BUTTERFLY NET <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BUTTERNUTS <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 07:26:02 -0400

I was very pleased with the way things turned out at the reception for the moth
study site at Winged Deer Park on Wednesday evening, March 26th. There was a
good turnout of impressive and enthusiastic participants. I want to thank
Naturalist Connie Deegan for all of her hard work preparing for the event and
Parks and Rec Director Roger Blakely for supporting the project. John Pickering
and Tori Staples of Discover Life were very happy with the event. John gave an
entertaining and informative presentation on the importance of conducting the
moth project. He said it was the first time he gave this talk to a general
audience and he felt really good about it. Moth photographer extraordinaire
Carol Wolf and her husband drove for five hours from middle Tennessee to attend
the presentation.   After the reception and presentation we checked the lights
that were set up on the porch but it was too cold to attract any moths. The
only insects that turned up were a couple of midges. It was still an
opportunity for eleven year old Cade Campbell to show his expertise and
knowledge of insects. He is an exceedingly talented young naturalist. On
Thursday, John, Tori and I went back to Winged Deer to assess the site. The
feeling was very positive that it should be very productive. Some changes were
suggested that I intend to implement. First, instead of conducting the study on
Wednesday and Thursday evenings we will move to early Sunday mornings, before
sunrise. Second, we will move the light setup away from the building to a more
open area. Third, we will upgrade the light setup with the help of Discover
Life and the City of Johnson City Parks and Rec Department. This is shaping up
to be a really good site. The project will be going into an experimental stage
in which I will be seeking to find the best location to put the lights. I will
probably be going out quite a few evenings, as my schedule permits, to work on
this. Please contact me if you are interested in joining me for any of these
outings. Once the location is determined and the upgraded lights are in place
we will switch to the Sunday morning schedule. Times wills be announced.
Thursday night I went back to set up and photograph. It wasn’t as cold but it
was quite windy. I managed to get two moth species and several other insects.
Things are finally starting to warm up and the mothing should be much better
this week.   Larry McDanielJohnson City, TN