[tn-moths] Re: Web Site and interesting insects

  • From: klight10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 00:28:33 +0000 (UTC)

Nice site, DJ, thanks for sharing it with the group. I think the more sites we
can share with each other, the better! The moth websites have been invaluable
to me! I've bookmarked yours along with several others.

I was at the UT Arboretum with David and Audrey today staking out the areas
where we will put the sheets for the Moth-er's Night Out (July 31). Noah
Charney, the co-author of "Tracks and Sign of Insects and Other Invertebrates"
came with us after his presentation at the American Museum of Science and
Energy. What a treat it was to take a walk through the woods with an expert
tracker! He really opened our eyes to the things 99.9% of people would never
notice--- dragonfly egg masses on aquatic iris leaves, a rice grain-sized
cocoon, a parasitized sphinx moth caterpillar, etc. We saw a defoliated
Alternate-leaf Dogwood tree and noticed lots of shed larval skins left on the
twigs. We then noticed some curled fuzzy white larvae on the under side of some
remaining leaves. We assumed the larvae had been infected with a type of
fungus. They seemed to be sawfly larvae since they had too many prolegs to be
caterpillars. Later, after everyone had left, I went back out to get some shots
with my macro lens. I noticed that one of the larvae was shedding the fuzzy,
white skin to reveal smooth, yellow and black skin. When I looked them up on
the internet tonight the mystery was finally solved, they were Dogwood Sawfly
larvae, a serious pest in some areas. Here is the site that explains about
them:
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/Images/insects/dogwood%2520sawfly%2520larva%2520white.jpg&imgrefurl
 (that looks awfully long, I hope it works!)

I'm attaching a couple of photos of the larvae, so you'll recognize them if you
ever run across them in the woods.

Last night I had an interesting "true bug" come to my sheet. It was an Eastern
Blood-sucking Conenose! I'm glad I didn't try to touch it, my guidebook says
they can inflict a painful bite and cause serious reactions in people! A
relative, the Kissing Bug, transmits "kissing disease".

I'll be updating the Anderson Co. moth list soon.

Kris Light