[tn-moths] Watauga County, NC Moths--Back in Business with a Bang

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:12:16 -0400

My replacement macro lens arrived and I'm happy to report I'm back in
business documenting the moths of the High Country.  Last night I was
stunned to find a really cool moth, Gold-spotted Ghost Moth (Sthenopis
auratus) #0022 on my sheet.  A lifer family--Hepialidae!  I have
looked at the pics of ghost moths for years wondering if I would ever
stumble onto one.  According to the literature, they are rare in
collections and rarely if ever come to lights.  So, needless to say, I
was excited when this one showed up last night.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm