[tn-moths] Re: The Penitent (Catocala piatrix)

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Moths" <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:55:18 -0500

Jason Roberts recently identified The Penitent (Hodges#8771) (called on
BAMONA The Penitent Underwing), that had been seen at the Kentucky Manor,
Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, on August 4, 2009,
http://mlbierly.smugmug.com/Moths/Catocala-piatrix/11637948_jJoyt#820556870_
UbrEe. I apparently flushed it while walking around in the backyard and it
flew and landed on the side of a mulberry. That is where the image was
obtained. In the Moth Photographers Group site, there are a little over 100
species listed in this genus,
<http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/catpiatrix.htm>
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/catpiatrix.htm. In reviewing what is
available on the species in the regular moth links, in the Moth
Photographers Group site,
<http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=8771>
http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=8771, there is
a link for Bill Oehlke's species page,
<http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/catpiatrix.htm>
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/catpiatrix.htm. On that page, there is a
link for Catocala in Tennessee,
<http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/catpiatrix.htm>
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/catpiatrix.htm. I find this an impressive
catalog of species of this genus for Tennessee. It appears to be current.
Within all this is a link to Tom Payne, Montgomery County, who has
contributed significantly to the genus Catocala in Tennessee,
<http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/CatocalapiatrixAugust2007tp.htm>
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/CatocalapiatrixAugust2007tp.htm. Here,
there are many additional link to Catocala species in Tennessee and other
links. Among them is a  <http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/TNsphinx.htm>
Tennessee Sphingidae site. Bill Oehlke has a great deal of information on
Catocala if interested, http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/catpiatrix.htm. He
lives on Prince Edward Island in Canada.

Now all this I am sure you are aware, but all I can do is stump my toe with
these moths. Going to be in the 70's here later in the week.

Michael Lee Bierly, Kentucky Manor, Nashville, Davidson County, TN.