[tn-moths] Revenge of the Moths!

  • From: klight10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-moths-bounce TN Moth Group <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 15:57:28 +0000 (UTC)

My husband and I just got home from our 2-week trip to northern AZ. We flew in
and out of  Las Vegas, so we had to stay there a couple of nights . I got a
laugh when we checked into the Paris hotel Thurs. There was a piece of hot pink
paper on the table near the window, it read:

"MOTH SEASON - For your comfort --- It's that time of year again. Swarms of
moths flying around the building are attracted by the lights. Please refrain
from opening your windows in your room and you will not be inconvenienced by
their presence."  There were even several images of moths (and a few
butterflies!) on it to get the point across. Hmmm, maybe next year we should
have a TN Moth convention in Vegas, bring our black lights and open our
windows!  :)

I looked out the window that night, but I didn't see any moths. Those poor
critters must go nuts with all the light in that city! It was sad to compare LV
to Flagstaff, AZ, which has very strict lighting rules due to the Lowell
Observatory. In Flagstaff we could see the Milky Way when we were at the
observatory, in Las Vegas all we could see was Jupiter! :(

I saw just a few moths in AZ, most of them were on the wall of a gas station
along Route 66. I got some funny looks as I was snapping photos! ;) I'm
attaching a photo of one.

I'm anxious to get back into the moth routine here at home. It won't be hard
until my body gets back on the Eastern time zone!

Kris Light

Oak Ridge