[tn-moths] Phigalia dawn

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Moths" <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 09:59:05 -0500

Thirty-seven Small Phigalias showed up at the back porch last night, plus a
couple of yet-unidentified sallows. Naturally, I photographed all of them this
morning when the light was good enough; there is a lot of variation.  (Jean,
please don't regard this as a FOY report.  I'm mulling over a probable Small
Phigalia from earlier.)

All three of the Phigalia species can vary quite a bit in markings and in size.
I found this website to be very helpful in highlighting the distinctions among
the three eastern Phigalia species:
http://www.mothguide.com/Geometridae/display_moth.php?genus=Phigalia&species=strigataria

The volume of moths last night is probably partly in response to the new UV
lightbulb in the lamp by the door. I picked it up from Home Depot on Friday for
$4.99.  It's a spiral-type compact fluorescent 60-Watt (13-W) "Ecobulb
Blacklight" by FEIT Electric.

In addition to attracting Phigalia strigataria by the dozen, this bulb is
apparently also "perfect for any party, dorm room or club."

Doug Bruce
Oak Ridge, TN
Anderson Co.