[tn-moths] Re: Mystery moth ID'd!

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-moths-bounce TN Moth Group <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 15:52:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hey, Kris.

Yes on using the decimal values.  Note that 11073 and 11073.1 are
different species.  Hodges numbers with decimal values represent
species that were discovered and described (or split) after the
original numbering scheme was developed.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, klight10@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I finally found the moth that has been stumping Jean and Diana (and me too, lately)! This
was such a hyper moth I had to catch it and chill it to take a photo. It is called a Spotted
Straw Moth #1107 Heliocheilus lupatus. I first found it in the Noctuids on MPG, then confirmed
it on Bugguide. Here is the link on Bugguide:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/252294  I've attached my photo too.

I noticed on Bugguide the Hodges number ends in ".1", do we need to use those
decimals in our designations?

Kris Light