[tn-moths] Re: 8204 Sycamore Tussock

  • From: Douglas Downs <douglas_downs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:22:25 -0500

Ken,

The BugGuide entry for 8203 states that it is "distinguished from the very
similar Sycamore Tussock Moth by the lack of a yellowish strip of rectangles
running along the costa."  However, under 8204, the entry there states "adults
in the eastern regions can only be separated from Halysidota tessellaris by
genitalia dissection."  So . . . take your pick.  You can distinguish them . .
. or you can't.  Seems somewhat typical in the world of moths.

Doug Downs
Sparta, White County, TN

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:08:26 -0700
From: kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tn-moths] 8204 Sycamore Tussock
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does anyone know if there is a way to visually separate 8204 Halysidota
harrisii from 8203 Halysidota tessellaris? I've been calling what I see here
8203 Halysidota tessellaris but I commonly find Halysidota harrisii
caterpillars on my Sycamore trees so obviously there must be adults around.

http://tinyurl.com/Kens-Moths-2011
http://tinyurl.com/Night-Creatures
http://www.finishflagfarms.com