[tn-moths] Re: 2 Photos

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:40:02 -0400

Diana,

I'm still debating your second Catocala; is it about the same size or much
smaller than your first underwing, C. lacrymosa?  If its a large Catocala
then it's probably angusi which could still be flying now.  If it is a small
Catocala, about 1/2 the size of C. lacrymosa, then it almost has to be
either Miranda or Judith's Underwing.  The thing that bothers me about
Miranda is it's a hawthorn feeder and they fly mainly from May to July.
Judith's is a hickory feeder and they fly later into the fall although
October would be quite late for it.

If you think both were about the same size, then I think we have the answer
for your second moth:  angusi.

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm